[mythtv-users] DVD ISO playback problems: Invalid IFO

kim Gross kgross at jensalt.com
Wed Jan 9 21:43:39 UTC 2008

Martin Ritchie wrote:
> Thanks Tom, I'm giving it another go. It just crashed when copying as
> root around the 92Meg mark. just as dd did. I now remember the reason
> I looked for something else... it is very slooooow. I wonder if there
> is a problem with one of the bonus features that sits about 92Meg in
> to the disk. I've not watched them all yet so :
> a) There maybe a problem with the disk
> b) The DRM on the disk may just be busted
> c) I'm not using the tools correctly.
>
> On 09/01/2008, Tom Greer <trgreer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 9, 2008 12:01 PM, Steve MacLaren <scram69 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I've had good results using k9copy to generate myth-playable .iso's...
>>>

>> k9copy is what I normally use.  It is able to copy many DVDs that mythvideo
>> cannot.  But is cannot handle the latest Macromedia DRM stuff.

I would be willing to bet you are hitting deliberate bad sectors used to
stop copying of the disc.  Your player will skip over the bad sector
without to much trouble, but if you try to duplicate or rip the disc the
software will hang trying to read the data.  Discs like this can take a
long time to rip because of the time for  retries etc. When I have one I
just setup dvddecrypter to ignore errors and to only retry errors once.
Still takes an hour or two to rip because the drive will retry a few
times before it sends the error to the software.

Kim