[mythtv-users] MythTV as a Gift (Hardware Recommendations)

Henrik Beckman henrik.list at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 08:12:30 UTC 2008

The Antec fusion is a good silent case, it has 120mm fans and the PSU is
quite silent.
Drawbacks of the fusion is that its mATX only. Many cases including the
fusion are quite deep with all connectors and stuff attached to the back,
take that into the equation.

Ive replaced the antec fans in my fusion with nexus fans to quiet it
further.
For harddrives Id go with Western Digital GP drives, Im using samsung
drives today but they vibrate a bit to much.
One drive for OS and DVD backups and one larger drive for recordings is the
way my machine is set up.

Id look at an intel G33 mATX board and a cheaper Core2 cpu, with a 3rd
party heatsing the cpu fan shouldnt be needed.
AMD wise a 65W CPU and an nvidia based Asus mATX board might be good.
2GB of RAM, its so cheap.
Sata DVD, less cables.
Microsoft mediacenter remote with Ir-sender, newer fusion V2 has integrated
ir reciver but no sender.

TV-cards are harder to recommend.

Im running Ubuntu, so thats my distro recommendation.

/Henrik