[mythtv-users] MythTV as a Gift (Hardware Recommendations)

Henrik Beckman henrik.list at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 08:12:30 UTC 2008

The Antec fusion is a good silent case, it has 120mm fans and the PSU is
quite silent.
Drawbacks of the fusion is that it´s mATX only. Many cases including the
fusion are quite deep with all connectors and stuff attached to the back,
take that into the equation.

I´ve replaced the antec fans in my fusion with nexus fans to quiet it
further.
For harddrives I´d go with Western Digital GP drives, I´m using samsung
drives today but they vibrate a bit to much.
One drive for OS and DVD backups and one larger drive for recordings is the
way my machine is set up.

I´d look at an intel G33 mATX board and a cheaper Core2 cpu, with a 3rd
party heatsing the cpu fan shouldn´t be needed.
AMD wise a 65W CPU and an nvidia based Asus mATX board might be good.
2GB of RAM, it´s so cheap.
Sata DVD, less cables.
Microsoft mediacenter remote with Ir-sender, newer fusion V2 has integrated
ir reciver but no sender.

TV-cards are harder to recommend.

I´m running Ubuntu, so thats my distro recommendation.

/Henrik