[mythtv-users] New user problems

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Jan 10 14:23:16 UTC 2008

Craig Huff wrote:
> In addition to Steve's suggestions, although you may not have
> a problem with an SATA drive, you might check with iostat to
> see if you have an IOBOUND system.
>
> It is a generally recommended practice to put the OS and
> mySQL database on a separate disk from the one that
> contains the recordings in order to spread the IO load.  The
> OS/mySQL disk can be relatively small -- I have a frontend-
> only machine running on an old 8GB disk I had laying around,
> but a backend system would be better served with something
> larger, say 40-80GB?

My master backend's got an 8GB disk, although I don't have a huge number of
recordings currently. In the future, I may upgrade it to a spare 20GB I have on
the shelf :)

[mike at ruby ~]$ df -a
/dev/hda3             880M  136M  700M  17% /
none                     0     0     0   -  /proc
/dev/hda1              85M   11M   70M  14% /boot
/dev/hda7             950M   29M  921M   4% /home
/dev/hdc1              77G   45G   29G  61% /mnt/ruby/video
/dev/hda8             796M   17M  739M   3% /tmp
/dev/hda5             3.4G  1.7G  1.6G  53% /usr
/dev/hda6             1.3G  835M  397M  68% /var

(Major Myth storage is on other boxes)

Mike Perkins