[mythtv-users] NAS

Paul Catchpole paul at paulcatchpole.co.uk
Thu Jan 10 18:39:16 UTC 2008

A JM wrote:
> Anybody using NAS (FreeNAS) for a file server or does anyone have some
> recommendations for setting up a file server on a budget with some
> spare drives???
>
> Thanks.
>
> AJM,

Over the last year I've gone from a proprietary RAIDZONE storage
appliance [linux-based, 12 ATA drives] on to some new hardware based on
a fairly old motherboard with two SATA controllers on PCI slots with
3x500gb RAID5, booting FreeNAS via a CF-IDE adapter, to the same new
hardware booting OpenFiler from a small ATA HD.

Raw SATA performance on FreeNAS was quicker than Openfiler, but the
software RAID-5 didn't do so well - although YMMV. The actual reason I
moved to OpenFiler was for better iSCSI support, as I'm using it to host
Xen VM disks as well as Myth. Openfiler's RAID performance was quite a
bit better than FreeNAS, for the versions I tried, although the raw disk
perf was slightly worse.

Either would work quite well for Myth, I'd have thought.

I haven't tried using iSCSI for Myth, but I may do so at some point, as
I get a 25-30% performance increase compared to a well-tuned NFSv3 mount.

Anyhoo, myth seems happy enough.

PC

PS: Both distros now support live-grow of RAID-5 online, although be
prepared for it to take a few days. If you're going to build one, I've
been really impressed with the IcyBox 5 drive SATA backplane which fits
into 3x5.25" slots.