[mythtv-users] Digital optical surround audio works, but sends "digital noise" to analog audio output

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 20:45:02 UTC 2008

On 1/10/08, Albert James <albertinnyc at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> PROBLEM
> When playing a DVD (or any surround/5.1 source), the analog audio output
> sends nothing but noise (crackles).  This is not a huge problem because my
> receiver normally auto-detects the digital optical input and uses that
> instead of analog.  It is a problem for me though, because I use the analog
> spliced to a multi-zone audio system, and so other rooms get a horrible
> noise when I play DVD's.
>
> What I was expecting, is the surround (5.1) signal sent to the digital
> output, and either a downmixed (ideal) signal sent to the analog connector,
> or only the front left/right signal sent to the analog output.
>
> Can anybody point me in the right direction?  I'm not sure yet if it's a
> myth issue or a hardware issue.  I'm using ALSA and have enabled AC3/digital
> output in the myth config screens.

As far as I can tell, it's nontrivial (impossible?) to get 5.1 surround
sound out the analog outputs.  I am in the exact position as you, with a
multi-zone audio system, and I ended up buying this spdif -> analog
converter to get around the problem:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=4907

Which just started shipping (and which I just received yesterday).  I'll be
putting it in today, so I can't report yet on how well it works.

Hope this helps,
Jerry