[mythtv-users] Can myth DVD output 7.1 audio?

Dean Harding dean.harding at dload.com.au
Thu Jan 10 23:48:56 UTC 2008

Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> Perhaps I'm going about this the wrong way...I thought it would be simplest
> if I use the 8 discrete analog outputs on my PC, then I can use the 8
> discrete analog inputs on the amp. But this requires the DVD software to do
> the decoding.
>
> My Receiver/Amp can do the DTS 7.1 decoding but I didn't understand how the
> 8 channels would get from the Myth PC to the AMP.  Would all 8 channels be
> encoded over the 2 analog channels (I assume at a quality loss) in Myth?
>
> How would this work?

You'll need to use the S/PDIF pinouts on your motherboard and construct
either a coax or optical bracket, then connect this to your amp via it's
own coax or optical input. Then you just use the AC-3/DTS passthrough
option.

Some motherboards already include coax or optical socket (for example,
my ABIT AN-M2HD has an optical connection) which makes things a bit
easier for you (assuming your amp has the same connection!)

You do lose a couple of features (for example, you can't control the
volume on a pass'ed through signal [nor would you want to]).

Dean.