[mythtv-users] NFS and remote backend

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 15:10:25 UTC 2008

On Dec 30, 2007 5:49 PM, jongi <jongitech at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I have a master front/backend setup that is on IP 10.0.0.3. On the backend
> I have videos on /mnt/mythtv/media. On the remote front end I have mount via
> nfs the following directory -
>  mount 10.0.0.3:/nfs4exports/share1 /mnt/mythtv/media/
>
>  Both systems are F8 but the nfs is painfully slow between them. ftp though
> runs at over 1MB/s and nfs is nowhere near that speed. so when i run the
> videos on the remote frontend they are often jerky. Without the nfs share I
> found that I couldn't find the records/videos on the remote backend. Is
> there something I am missing?

this isn't much help, but I noticed the same thing. NFS transfers are
painfully slow and actually eat up a lot of "overhead" whereas FTP
uses the full bandwidth and doesn't seem to eat up "overhead".

I first noticed this when I switched my network to 1000bT. I used to
transfer files between my master backend and my frontend (where my
long term storage array is) via NFS but was noticing that when I did
my recordings at that time would become choppy, the transfer speed was
no faster than on my 100bT network and I couldn't watch an HD show on
the frontend while transfering, it would just be choppy.  Then I tried
FTP for the heck of it and it used the full network speed, did not
affect recordings and allowed my frontend to play an HD show (with th
obvious slowdown in the file transfer) without any problems.

So there is definitely something wrong with the base setup of NFS
somewhere. I couldn't figure out what, but at least I'm not the only
that noticed this problem.

For now I've just been using FTP until someone can tell me why this is
happening.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!