[mythtv-users] Direct HD encoding from component....

David George david at thegeorges.us
Fri Jan 11 15:31:43 UTC 2008

On 01/11/2008 12:52 AM, Mitch Gore wrote:
> Also, coming from hauppauge, who is a linux freiendly company (they
> released there firmware GPL) and the excitement this brings to the
> community dev work I assume would start rapidly.

Never thought I would hear Hauppauge and Linux friendly in the same
sentence.  If it wasn't for a very few dedicated people working on the
ivtv driver themselves (Kevin Thayer, Chris Kennedy, and Hans Verkuil -
apologies to Hans if I mispelled his name) there probably wouldn't even
be a Linux driver.  It took a lot of negotiation to even be able to
redistribute the firmware.  They finally released some documention, but
it is too little may to late to be considered "Linux friendly" IMNSHO.
They do have a few links on their web site to find the ivtv driver and
some of the development drivers for some of their cards.  But still
there is no mention of Linux support for the PVR-USB2, another device
whose driver had to be reverse engineered.

Anyway I don't hold out much hope for Hauppauge releasing drivers or
information to create a Linux driver for this device.  Please Hauppauge,
prove me wrong, I'll take two myself.

--
David