[mythtv-users] 64 Bit and memory

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Jan 11 17:50:57 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 09:43:06PM -0600, Mitch Gore wrote:
> I understand how linux does its memory usage and what not.  But i am not
> talking about using alot of my memory and it being 'slower'.  When I say
> slow the mouse wont even move fluidly.  It jumps 1/2 way across the screen
> as i move it.

> Again I am using atrpms bleeding packages which are SVN r15333.  I believe
> this my be a x86-64 issue.  As my 32bit works fine with the same packages.
> both are F8 fully updated boxes.

Well, just a minor note, which may or may not be cause for this large
impact: The bleeding packages are built with "debug" instead of
optimized "release" build options. I wouldn't expect such a dramatic
influence, and especially not only on x86_64 vs i386.

I will do a rebuild of some newer 0.21 svn cut w/o debug options and
you may want to give them a test to see whether there is any
improvement in performance. Can you please pick this up with me in PM
or bugzilla, so I don't forget?
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net