[mythtv-users] What I'd predicted/"Spot On" consolidation thread.

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jan 11 18:22:19 UTC 2008

jedi at mishnet.org wrote:
>> Steven Adeff wrote:
>>
>>> To add to the MPAA comments... Warner's decision to drop HD-DVD mid
>>> contract with Toshiba shows that at least the movie studios are still
>>> very much interested in DRM. BluRay is notoriously DRM heavy compared
>>> to HD-DVD. It's the reason BluRay players need constant firmware
>>> updates, etc. Since this is the only real difference between the two
>>> formats, and BluRay is more expensive, it's the only reason a studio
>>> would have to choose BluRay over HD-DVD.
>> Hmmm. You don't think the higher capacity is significant?
>
> For a format meant to hold feature film releases: not really.
>
> The only relevant question is whether or not the medium is large
> enough to accomodate the business requirements. Any sort of "mines
> bigger than yours" weiner waving exercises are pointless.

In the past capacity was significant, VHS dominated Beta in part because
it was the first to be able to record an entire football game.

But I think I agree with you, we have passed the point of diminishing
returns as far as capacity. They tried to sell DVDs by offering "extra"
content, most of which was pretty worthless.

Unless they can come up with some truly value-added content to utilize
the extra capacity it's probably not a significant factor.

beww