[mythtv-users] NFS and remote backend

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Fri Jan 11 19:46:55 UTC 2008

* On Fri Jan 11, 2008 at 10:53:48AM -0500, Steven Adeff wrote:
> Didn't seem to do much if anything. I changed the mount settings in
> fstab, unmounted the existing mount and then remounted. I've got async
> set in the nfs server's export line for the mount point.
>
> 12seconds for a 500MB file over ftp vs. 1:30 for the same file over NFS.

It's something in your config.  My measley 700Mhz Athlon fileserver
running an ancient 2.4.x kernel can manage over 20 MegaBytes per second
over NFS and I don't use unusually large block sizes.

That's pretty good when the drives locally on the server only hit about
28MB/sec according to hdparm.  The old/slow memory and bus in the server
don't help much either.

Here's my mount options from fstab:

    rsize=8192,wsize=8192,noatime,tcp,nocto,actimeo=0,soft

Share is async on the server.  It's for video only so I don't slow the
clients down by requiring sync when recording.

--
Chris