[mythtv-users] Direct HD encoding from component....

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jan 11 22:02:30 UTC 2008

On 01/11/2008 03:14 PM, Mitch Gore wrote:
> On Jan 11, 2008 2:06 PM, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

>>> You know what rocks? It hardly matters. You don't HAVE to encode the
>>> video at 1080p, incurring all the CPU (and bitrate!) penalties
>>> associated. In fact, I can't think of a single consumer product out
>>> there that dumps a 1080p signal out via component video.
>>>
>> Except the one we're talking about in this thread.
>>
>> I *want* 1080p to match the 1080p display I have. I didn't pay extra
>> for 1080p to not use it.
> What TV are you viewing in 1080p?  The highest is 1080i.  Only HD DVD and
> Blu ray have 1080p!

Perhaps you haven't heard of the 1080p24 and 1080p30 formats that are
/required/ by ATSC ( http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ISSUES/what_is_ATSC.html
).  Are you sure no one is broadcasting in 1080p24?  While I don't know
of any broadcasters changing resolution (i.e. from a 1080 resolution to
a 720 resolution), I /do/ know a lot of them change refresh rate (i.e.
commercial breaks often have video at different refresh rates from the
program).  IMHO, it would make a /lot/ of sense for a 1080-res
broadcaster to broadcast a movie (i.e. filmed at 24fps) in 1080p24
rather than telecine the content to 1080i60, though I've never checked
to see if any do.

That said, many TV's do not support 1080p video through Component, so
there's probably a lot of STB's, etc., that won't output 1080p via
Component.

Mike