Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 05:06:56 UTC 2008

On Jan 11, 2008 10:01 PM, Reid Anderson <reidsanderson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I plan on putting a pcHDTV HD-5500 in the PCI slot and was looking
> > > for a PCIe TV Tuner for the other slot.  My other option is to ditch
> > > the HD-5500 for a Haupp dual tuner (500 I believe), but I'm still in
> > > need of a PCIe Tuner...
> >
> > Or you could get a known working USB tuner or the popular HDHomeRun
> > which connects via ethernet, gives you two discrete tuners and you
> > don't have to worry about drivers at all.
>
> I was hoping to keep it a closed box without add-ons hanging off it.  I
> understand the ease of use of USB, but for a machine like this, it just
> seems to make sense to plug the cable wire into the back of the machine
> rather than into some little USB dongle.  I might have to break down and go
> USB (definitely not Ethernet since the machine will be using that jack for
> it's internet connection), but I'll keep looking into a PCIe Tuner (found a
> few on TigerDirect) while I get the rest ordered and assembled (Shuttle
> case, Intel G33 mb, 250W ps, 2GB Ram, Intel Core 2 Duo ??Ghz, Fan, ??GB hd,
> and Lite-On DVD Burner)...

You are a little mistaken about the HDHR. While it is using Ethernet,
it can be on a local network (So, for instance, you can have a Router
on your internet connection, and several devices, including the HDHR,
connected). You can also have more than one HDHR on the network. And
it doesn't matter that the connection isn't directly to the 'net, as
the Router will handle the translation for you.

So, your network would look something like this:

(Fixed font required - Copy/Paste into Notepad if it's not displaying
right here)

                      Internet

             {-{- External Network -}-}
             {-{- xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  -}-}

                        \/
  Router (With switch - Most have switches built-in)
      /             |          |            \
   {--{------------ Local Network ----------}--}
   {--{------------  192.168.0.x  ----------}--}
    /               |          |              \
  Myth Box        HDHR       HDHR          Laptop

The Myth box (And laptop) would be able to talk to the HDHRs (And each
other) freely over the local network, and all could connect to the
internet using the Router.

It also means that (For instance) the HDHRs can be hidden in the
basement (or a closet, or anywhere else, making the cabling nice and
tidy), and the Myth box can be in the living room, hooked up to the
TV, acting as frontend as well as backend. It makes for less cabling
under the TV and better signal quality into the tuners, too (as
they're kept further away from noisy RF sources - namely the computer,
and can be placed closer to the signal source, cutting down cable
length and signal drop).
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston