[mythtv-users] What I'd predicted/"Spot On" consolidation thread.

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Sat Jan 12 13:33:56 UTC 2008

On 11 Jan 2008, at 15:34, Steven Adeff wrote:
> To add to the MPAA comments... Warner's decision to drop HD-DVD mid
> contract with Toshiba shows that at least the movie studios are still
> very much interested in DRM. BluRay is notoriously DRM heavy compared
> to HD-DVD. It's the reason BluRay players need constant firmware
> updates, etc. Since this is the only real difference between the two
> formats, and BluRay is more expensive, it's the only reason a studio
> would have to choose BluRay over HD-DVD.

I'm not convinced by this - I believe commercial factors may play a
very strong part. IIRC Warner cited consumer confusion over the
formats as a reason for dropping one - there's also a reluctance on
the consumers' part to buy in to the next betamax. IIRC Blurays are
already outselling HD-DVDs 2:1 and the PS3 has ensured that there are
plenty of players out there.

I think I read an article 6 months ago that reckoned the
affordability of HD-DVD would swing the market if Walmart were to
start selling a speculated super-cheap Chinese-made player over the
2007 holiday season. That doesn't seem to have happened.

Stroller.