[mythtv-users] About to move to FIOS...couple of questions

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 21:55:10 UTC 2008

On Jan 12, 2008 2:09 PM, Steven Sartorius <ssartor at bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> 1.      In my currrent setup I split my cable feed between my (cable
> ready) TV and my Myth box (PVR-150).  This way I can watch regular TV
> on one channel while recording with Myth on another.  My
> understanding is that with FIOS (or with any digital TV feed that
> requires a STB) in order to get this same behavior I'll need two
> STBs.  I will still split my signal; one leg will run to a STB
> connected to the TV and the other leg to a STB connected to the Myth
> box.  Myth will change channels via an IR Blaster to the STB.  Is my
> understanding correct?  FWIW, I've read that Verizon makes the first
> 40 or so channels available in analog so it is possible just to run
> the coax into the PVR-150 and record that way -- however I want to be
> able to record all the channels I receive.

Yes, channels below 50 are available off the coax in analog, and everything
50 and above are digital, so if you wanted all channels available to both
the TV directly and to Myth, you'd need two STBs (assuming that when you
said your tv was cable-ready, you didn't mean it has a CableCard slot).

Also, everything I'm trying to do now is in SD -- I'll cross the HD
> bridge when I buy my first HDTV later this year.
>
> 2.      With the setup I describe above do I need to replace my PVR-150?
> Since I'm running the cable feed through the STB before I output it
> to the Myth box I'm assuming the STB takes the digital feed (ATSC,
> MPEG2) and converts it to NTSC analog.  Is this correct?

The STB will output a standard NTSC signal, possibly with some other outputs
as well.  No need to replace the 150.

-Jerry