[mythtv-users] questions about database restore instructions

Steve MacLaren scram69 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 16:16:32 UTC 2008

I have a second hard drive on my backend on which I am setting up another
myth installation.  All recordings/videos/music is stored on a separate raid
array.  I would like it to come up with all of the correct current database
info for the backend (tuners/channels/recordings/videos ... music?) that the
current installation is using.  I have saved a copy of the db using
mysqldump on the raid array.
http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.5 gives instructions on how
to restore the database, but is prefaced by "assuming that you've dropped
the database".  This brings various visuals to mind involving gravity, tall
buildings, and open windows, but I really have no idea what is actually
implied by this prerequisite.  Does anyone know?

Also, http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.7 seems to apply to
the opposite situation, namely replacing the data storage hardware but
preserving the mythtv installation.  Is that a correct interpretation?