[mythtv-users] Notification of Channel Setup Change?

Andrew Sayers andrew-mythtv-users at pileofstuff.org
Mon Jan 14 16:26:33 UTC 2008

James Cummings wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> Living in the UK, using DVB-T (i.e. freeview), and over the air (EIT)
> guide data.  Is there some automated way we could be notified when
> there has a been a (however minor) change to the channel setup?  An
> off-the-shelf freeview STB I have does this.  I occasionally turn it
> on and it says "Change to channel listing" in the bottom left hand
> corner for the first 30 seconds.  Everytime there is a channel listing
> change (i.e. they muck about with the frequencies or squeeze yet
> another 'quiz' channel into the limited bandwidth, or rename
> something, etc.) I have to rescan existing transports if I want to be
> at all confident that the shows I'm interested in will record.
> Another option (which I asked about a couple days ago with no reply)
> would be to have some way to auto-rescan each evening or something.
> Suggestions?
>
> -James

You could run a script like this from a cron job:

if scan /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/dvb-t/<your-transmitter>\
   | tee /home/mythtv/channels.conf.new \
   | diff /home/mythtv/channels.conf -
then
	<tell the user>
	mv /home/mythtv/channels.conf.new /home/mythtv/channels.conf
fi

But that requires you to install 'scan' (in the dvb-utils package on
Debian-based systems), won't work if you're recording something when the
script runs, won't work if MythTV is scanning the EIT information when
the script runs, and you still have to get MythTV to do a scan itself.

	- Andrew