[mythtv-users] HD Channels and Time-Warner Cable

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 18:33:05 UTC 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 1:15 PM, Ty Unes <riverty at kc.rr.com> wrote:
> I have limited knowledge about cable systems and HD content. Par this
> with the different ways of tuning HD channels in MythTV and I'm left
> with a question of two.
>
> My normal setup includes 2 PVR-150 cards connected to TW Cable and 1 ATI
> HDTV Wonder card connected to an HD antenna on top of my house. This has
> worked great for quite some time now. Today, I thought I would connect
> TW cable to my HD card and see what happens. I have performed various
> scans on this card and found channels as follows:
>
> Standard TW cable hooked to DTV input on ATIHD card with QAM-256.
>
> Cable High = None
> Cable HRC High = None
> Cable IRC High = None
> Cable = None
> Cable HRC = None
> Cable IRC = None
>
> Standard TW cable hooked to CATV input on ATIHD card with QAM-256
>
> Cable High =
> 83#2
> 85#1-23
> 93#7
> 94#6
> 100#3
> 100#8
> 112#4
> 113#4-7
> 115#12
>
> Cable HRC High = None
>
> Cable IRC High =
> 77#1
> 83#2
> 85#1-23
> 93#7
> 94#6
> 100#3
> 100#8
> 111#7
> 112#4
> 113#4-7
> 115#12
>
> Cable =
> 77#1
> 83#2
> 85#1-23
> 93#7
> 94#6
> 100#3
> 100#8
> 111#7
> 112#4
> 113#4-7
> 115#12
>
> Cable HRC = None
>
> Cable IRC =
> 77#1
> 83#2
> 85#1-23
> 94#6
> 100#3
> 100#8
> 111#7
> 112#4
> 113#4-7
> 115#12
>
> First question. What is the difference between Cable / Cable IRC / Cable
> HRC / and the like.
These are different frequency ranges to search.

>With only a few exceptions, they see to find the
> same channels. What should I be using for this?

It depends on how your cable company has arranged your digital
channels. A few months back I had some channels in the low range but
now there is no single channel less than 75 so I can use one of the
options to search only the high frequencies and save a lot of time
from scanning the low channels that have no digital.

> Second question. What's the deal with certain channels finding
> "sub-channels" underneath like channel 85#1 - 23? What does this mean?
> Channel 85#1 has content, channels 85#2 - 23 does not. Why all the
> "sub-channels"?

With compression the cable company places many channels in the band
that it took to put 1 single analog channel. The visible ones are the
unencrypted and the unwatchable are most likely encrypted.

> Third question. Should I try scanning with something other than QAM-256?

I am not sure of that one.

John