[mythtv-users] NFS and remote backend

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 19:37:38 UTC 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 1:20 PM, Patrick Ouellette <pat at flying-gecko.net> wrote:

> > > I'm running through a D-Link firewall/router to handle it.
> >
> > So you are expecting an NFS client set for 8K blocks to work well on a
> > network with a server and another client set at 32K blocks.  I wonder if
> > that has anything to do with it.
> >
> I reading that on the list, it sounds a bit harsh.  Not meant to be an
> attack, more thinking out loud.
>
> The other thought that comes to mind is are you optimizing your
> database?  A clean database is a happy database.

I would only expect that to be a problem if network latency was
suffering across the board, but it isn't.  If I was getting bad
network timings in general, I'd think adjusting that might fix it, but
the problem seems to be exclusively to reading the files off the NFS
share.  I run the optimize script on the DB regularly, but I haven't
gone into tweaking mysql parameters.  Based on what other people do, I
wouldn't think that /should/ be necessary.  I'd be a lot happier
blaming network settings if it failed both ways, instead it seems to
be something about the nature of the NFS that's failing.

Ry