[mythtv-users] MythTV - Video Distribution Solution?

MythTV mythtv at hermon.net
Mon Jan 14 21:56:33 UTC 2008

In regards to the copyright issues:

Section 110 of the Copyright code:

Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106, the following are not
infringements of copyright:

(1) performance or display of a work by instructors or pupils in the
course of face-to-face teaching activities of a nonprofit educational
institution, in a classroom or similar place devoted to instruction,
unless, in the case of a motion picture or other audiovisual work, the
performance, or the display of individual images, is given by means of a
copy that was not lawfully made under this title, and that the person
responsible for the performance knew or had reason to believe was not
lawfully made;

The second part of the section is too long to post, but to sum it up,
schools are just required to:

1. Displayed by a classroom instructor as part of a class.

2. Video must be connected to the content the teacher is teaching.

3. Viewed only by teachers and students.

4. School implements reasonable policies to ensure people know about the
copyright laws.

There is no section dealing with the amount of times a video is viewed at
a time, so I don't believe it's a problem is a video is viewed
concurrently in different classrooms provided the use follows the terms
above. Also, a school can't be found liable if they are acting under good
faith that they are following the law, if they don't, unless they should
have had reason to believe it was illegal.

There is one section though that we'd have to address:

			in the case of digital transmissions

(I) applies technological measures that reasonably prevent

(aa) retention of the work in accessible form by recipients of the
transmission from the transmitting body or institution for longer than the
class session; and

This means we'd have to find a way of preventing people from being able to
record a show after the time period which they can use the show for their
class section.

This is why I was originally planning on DVD sources instead of ripping
the videos. But let me ask then. Is there a way we can restrict some
content in the MythTV Video Collection? I would presume we could just drag
a video into a particular shared folder when it's requested and just
remove it at a later date?

That's really the only roadblock the school would need to deal with when
digitally storing video.

Take care,
Alan Owen
Assistant to the Director of Information Services
Hermon Information Services/Hermon School Department
"Using Technology to Empower All Students to Succeed in a Changing World."