[mythtv-users] am i dropping frames?

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Tue Jan 15 01:40:55 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Brian Wood
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 5:15 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] am i dropping frames?

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When i watch sports, i notice that the video is not very smooth. It's
> pretty smooth, but noticabally not smooth when compared to watching
> standard tv (non mythtv). During most other shows it's not noticable,
> but since sports are fast action the entire time, it's noticable,
> especially during basketball.
>
> Watching downloaded divx videos from the stage6 divx site shows me
> that it's not the system, cause those hd videos play so smoothly.
>
> Anyone have any ideas for me? Am i dropping frames in my recordings,
> and is that why it seems this way? How do i tell?

What do you mean by "not very smooth"? Can you post a short clip somewhere?

I often see a lot of macro-blocking on sports events, especially during
fancy wipes and fast action. I know this is not my Myth system as I have
seen the same artifacts at the local TV station.

Lots of ways to screw up digital video that do not involve dropping frames.

beww

I'm using a pvr-500, so analog to digital converting there. As far as the
clip, I have a 1 minute, 50mb clip that I have posted at
http://www.penguinframe.com/1034_20080114164028.mpg

Hopefully you'll see what I mean. It's most noticable when the basketball is
being passed through the air, or when the camera is panning from left to
right or right to left, also, the scrolling ticker at the bottom of the
screen is hard to read, whereas on normal tv, it's very clear. I have the
video encoded at a very high bitrate, so I'm sure it's not that (I've tried
up to 9000kbps and not noticed a difference).

-Thanks