[mythtv-users] HD Channels and Time-Warner Cable

Chris Everest chriseverest at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 03:28:41 UTC 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 5:23 PM, Craig Courtney <craig at dawnsedge.com> wrote:

> On 1/14/08, lemongecko at gmail.com <lemongecko at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Third question. Should I try scanning with something other than
> > QAM-256?
> >
> > Mmm, no. TW definitely uses QAM-256.
> >

> I can't get any QAM channels off of TW in my area.  I do remember reading
> somewhere that they where moving to SDV.

Just to chime in.  I have Wide Open West and I had such a hard time tuning
QAM for a long, long time.  Meaning the past year.  Don't even try to
manually tune your QAM channels if you don't know what you are doing.  It
will drive you batty.  I spent 40 hours at least trying to tune into my QAM
channels with eventual success using the manual method on the wiki.

UPGRADE to SVN if you really want to tune in QAM with your HDHomerun.  I set
this up for a friend of mine and it was soooo much easier.  The 0.21 svn
trunk version (latest on atrpms-bleeding for fedora 8 is 15333 as of this
post) can tune into QAM via HDHomerun using the built in scanner in
mythtv-setup.  On W.O.W. it tuned a bunch of "crap" in along with the
standard working channels, but you can then modify the channel table
manually to get your channels weeded out and setup.  This was the easiest
for me.  The cable companies make it very hard to tune in their channels,
because they don't stick to the standards (on purpose? or because they're
lazy?)

I don't recommend using your main 'production' backend, but a standalone
test system, if you are uncomfortable with SVN and/or database queries.
This way you can delete your database over and over until you get it just
right.  I used my laptop until I got it right, then transferred the new
channels and dtv_multiplex records to my production server  (or duplicated
the process).

The devs are making great stuff on the QAM tuning, but they simply can't
account for bad design on the service provider side.  Hope this works for
you.  QAM is the best part of myth now that I have it setup.  Can't beat
it.  If you need help, keep posting and we'll assist.

--
Chris Everest