[mythtv-users] MythTV - Video Distribution Solution?

Chris Everest chriseverest at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 03:52:26 UTC 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 4:56 PM, MythTV <mythtv at hermon.net> wrote:

> In regards to the copyright issues:
>
> Section 110 of the Copyright code:

[....]

>                        in the case of digital transmissions —
>
> (I) applies technological measures that reasonably prevent —
>
> (aa) retention of the work in accessible form by recipients of the
> transmission from the transmitting body or institution for longer than the
> class session; and
>

> This means we'd have to find a way of preventing people from being able to
> record a show after the time period which they can use the show for their
> class section.
>
> This is why I was originally planning on DVD sources instead of ripping
> the videos. But let me ask then. Is there a way we can restrict some
> content in the MythTV Video Collection? I would presume we could just drag
> a video into a particular shared folder when it's requested and just
> remove it at a later date?

There is 'parental control' which simply translates to 4 numbered levels of
access on the videos within the mythvideo repository.  So yes, you could
restrict video based upon the content (that you selected).  Videos would
have to be rated
as they were put in the repository, but you could setup the default as
'restricted' so that only select videos could change rating to view.  Looks
like there is a pin for each of the levels to restrict content.  I think
that might work for you.

In addition, you can PIN protect the recordings (but not as granularly).
One PIN for all recordings.  And you can PIN protect the frontend too, so
that students couldn't just turn it on and go to anything they wanted.
Furthermore, with Mythweb, you can change ratings on the video repository on
the fly.....

I would love to help with that kind of large setup.  It would be fun 'geeky'
stuff.  Keep us up to date on the list, so we can help.  Your going to need
a good, good network person and a good hardware person and a good linux
person.  I hope you are all three, as myth is very resource intensive.
Also, I think there's 'planned support' for multicasting myth, so that would
be a huge bonus next year or whenever it's planned.

--
Chris Everest