[mythtv-users] am i dropping frames?

Steve Smith st3v3.sm1th at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 17:38:08 UTC 2008

On 15/01/2008, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics <
steve at priorityelectronics.com> wrote:

> [...]

It does sound to me like you are seeing the effects of deinterlacing. Quite
why bob doesn't work for you I'm not sure.

<Grandma sucking eggs warning!>
Basically the Sports programmes are probably sent interlaced. Over here in
PAL land this means that I would recieve a signal with:
   25 Frames per second (in NTSC land 30 FPS) each consisting of 2
fields.SoI'm actually receiving 50 Fields a second.
 Each field consists of "half" of the picture (frame) with one having the
odd lines and one the even.
You migh think that these 2 fields make up a frame from one instant in time,
but this is not usually the case (with SD anyway I don't know about HD). The
second field is actually recorded by the camera slightly later than the
first.

So effectively what you recieve is a signal that is sort of at 50Fps  (in
NTSC land 60Fps) giving you lovely smoooth motion...
When you de-interlace down to 25 FPS you lose some of that smoothness...

This doesn't apply to movies shot on film as they are shot at 25Frames per
second full stop. You might say that the film camera is a "progressive scan"
type of device!
</Grandma sucking eggs warning!>

So the question really is... why is bob not working correctly?

Cheers

Steve