[mythtv-users] 2nd audio track as main track and lossless mythtranscode

Chris Hayes chris at lwcdial.net
Tue Jan 15 22:10:53 UTC 2008

Hi

Relating to the lossless transcoding issue mentioned:

    http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2008-January/206963.html

I'm trying to work out what options I have, other than not transcoding.  It's not an option as I want to archive.

Firstly it seems odd to me that, being as it is meant to be lossless, we lose audio tracks.  It's a little "hacky" as are IMHO the solutions I've seen.

For now I'm checking with VLC what audio tracks the recording has.  If the 2nd audio track is the desired track I'm using my windows box to run batch files to ffmpeg map.  I've got the hang of it but it's far too hands-on really and it's raising my blood pressure, using time I could be exercising like my doctor said and helping my blood pressure.  A double whammy.

I've checked through Trac and it appears there may be a "solution" in the pipeline (is it 0.21 ???) which would require a config setting.  Does this work?  Does it work well?  From experience could anybody suggest an ETA.

If I were to go for an SVN build, I'm guessing it's unlikely I could retain my current, stable installation side-by-side.

Also, Simon Levitt's follow up:

    http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2008-January/206978.html

As I understand it I would need to compile mythtranscode to get this working.  I wouldn't know where to start.  How easy would it be for a linux novice to do?  I'm not so much a novice but I'm daunted by the instructions I've seen to date.  Would my doctor approve?

So my options are:

1) Wait it out
2) Try an SVN revision (eeek)
3) Try an interrim solution (any more suggestions)

TIA