[mythtv-users] MythTV - Video Distribution Solution?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jan 16 02:01:22 UTC 2008

Drew Tomlinson wrote:

> Again, the backend server is just streaming content to the frontends
> which doesn't take much CPU.  I'd be willing to bet an old 600 mhz
> Pentium III could handle the CPU load just fine.  However this is only a
> guess on my part.

Assuming hardware compression or the recording of already encoded
material you are correct that the main thing the B/E needs is I/O.

Unless you are doing comm flagging or transcoding. Even these jobs don't
need much CPU if you are not in a hurry for the results.

I'd guess the database would be the hungriest customer for CPU cycles.

beww