[mythtv-users] MythTV - Video Distribution Solution?

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Wed Jan 16 02:32:32 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 15 January 2008 21:01:22 Brian Wood wrote:

> Unless you are doing comm flagging or transcoding. Even these jobs don't
> need much CPU if you are not in a hurry for the results.

Transcoding could be very helpful, since it would reduce I/O needs for
playback. If you transcode from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 and halve the file size in
the process, you also halve the network and disk I/O requirements for serving
that file to a frontend. Given the number of frontends being discussed, this
could be very important. OTOH, because no Linux video cards have any
acceleration for MPEG-4 video streams, this would increase the CPU
requirements on the frontends.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com