[mythtv-users] Video input problems

Jonathan Keane jkeane at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 22:19:28 UTC 2008

I've setup MythTV (for the first time) on an Intel Core 2 Duo 6300
(1.86GHz) system with a pcHDTV HD-5500 card in it. It's hooked up
directly to my cable provider, and I receive the standard analog
channels as well as a handful of digital, HD channels. The location of
Myth's recording directory is a pair of SATA drives in a RAID 0
configuration.

MythTV is setup and is in general working, but on at least the analog
channels (I haven't tested the digital channels as much) I get video
tearing very often. In investigating it I am pretty sure it's a
problem with the capture. When I record a show it will always tear in
the same location time and time again on both the frontend/backend
server and a remote frontend. I also exported the recording using
nuvexport (under very light system strain), and the resulting file
tears in the exact same location as well. It's possible this is a
display issue across both computers, and the exported file - but it
doesn't seem likely.

  I have attempted to change the bit rate on the audio in an attempt
to lower the amount of data coming out of the capture card, with no
success. I attempted to mess with the pci latency (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/PCI_Latency
) but it appears that the bus the hard drives are on is PCIe. I
attempted to turn on DMA with hdparm and both hard drives seem to not
accept it (I've found conflicting reports about SATA drives and DMA
with google).

I can't think of anything else to do. I'm going to try to build myth
from source maybe this weekend to see if that possibly improves the
performance. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be?

-Jon