[mythtv-users] MythTV as a Gift (Hardware Recommendations)

Michael Nguyen michaeln at twentyten.org
Wed Jan 16 23:07:37 UTC 2008

Bill Omer wrote:
>> Antec Fusion 430
>> Asus P5B-MX
>> (1) Hauppauge PVR-500
>> (1) PCHDTV HD-5500
>> (1) Intel Core 2 Duo E4500
>> 4 GB PC2 5300 (too much?)
>> 20X DVD+/-R
>> (2) 750 GB SATA drives
>> Microsoft MCE Remote
>>

> 4 gigs of ram is over kill.  And I would opt out of the pchdtv hd-5500
> and go with an hd homerun.  That way you aren't using up any more pci
> slots and you're getting dual hd tuners.  The pvr-500 comes with an
> mce remote and usb receiver if you get the retail box.

4GB too much, got it.  I'll do 2GB.  So, just to be clear, you mean this
thing?

http://www.9thtee.com/hdhomerun.htm

That device looks really shady, but I trust you guys.

> One thing you are forgetting is a video card.  What kind of display
> will this be connecting to?  Either way, an FX5200 is all you need,
> and most come with s-video and dvi.

This motherboard has built-in VGA.  So just to be clear, you recommend a
GeForce FX 5200?  This appears to be an AGP card.  The Asus P5B has no
AGP slots.  Is there a different motherboard I should be considering?

Michael