[mythtv-users] How to supplement schedules direct info with xmltv info

Taco Mel taco_mel at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 17 02:53:07 UTC 2008

I have DirecTV and am subscribed to Schedules Direct.
For the vast majority of the channels this is
excellent. However there are three channels (Big 10
network alternates 218 and 219, and Fox Sports
Wisconsin 642) where the SD lineup always has 4 hour
blocks of "sports programming."  I have power searches
in place to record college sports games that work
well.  But when "my team" is on one of the alternates,
of course my rule does not match, so all I can do is
manually schedule the channel.

I have found that DirecTV website has accurate
information on these channels in its grid.  If nothing
is on (most of the time), the channel is not listed;
if there is something on, the "tv_grab_na_dtv" script
from xmltv pulls in the title, description, and time.

I would like to get this data for these three channels
into my MythTV database.  I figure that I could create
a separate video source for these 3 channels and then
create input connections in mythtv-setup.  But this
seems to be a little overkill for just 3 channels.  Is
there any other way to get the xmltv results into the database?