[mythtv-users] MythTV as a Gift (Hardware Recommendations)

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 15:07:38 UTC 2008

On Jan 16, 2008 6:07 PM, Michael Nguyen <michaeln at twentyten.org> wrote:

>  Bill Omer wrote:
>
>  Antec Fusion 430
> Asus P5B-MX
> (1) Hauppauge PVR-500
> (1) PCHDTV HD-5500
> (1) Intel Core 2 Duo E4500
> 4 GB PC2 5300 (too much?)
> 20X DVD+/-R
> (2) 750 GB SATA drives
> Microsoft MCE Remote
>

> 4 gigs of ram is over kill. And I would opt out of the pchdtv hd-5500
> and go with an hd homerun. That way you aren't using up any more pci
> slots and you're getting dual hd tuners. The pvr-500 comes with an
> mce remote and usb receiver if you get the retail box.
>
>  4GB too much, got it.  I'll do 2GB.  So, just to be clear, you mean this
> thing?
>
>  http://www.9thtee.com/hdhomerun.htm
>
>  That device looks really shady, but I trust you guys.
>

>  One thing you are forgetting is a video card. What kind of display
> will this be connecting to? Either way, an FX5200 is all you need,
> and most come with s-video and dvi.
>

>  This motherboard has built-in VGA.  So just to be clear, you recommend a
> GeForce FX 5200?  This appears to be an AGP card.  The Asus P5B has no AGP
> slots.  Is there a different motherboard I should be considering?

A lot of people have a 5200 because they're cheap, you can get a
fanless version and mythtv runs well with them, but you can basically
get any nvidia card better than the 5200 and myth will run just as
well on those.
I think the basic recommendation is get an nvidia card and if you want
it to be quiet find a fanless version.
I think the 6300 is pci express and fanless, there should be 7000
series cards that are as well.  I've also heard that motherboards with
built in 6100 and 7050 graphics also work well.
I have a fanless 6200, that works great with myth.

--
It was supposed to be so Easy.