[mythtv-users] lirc incompatible with new dev/input device?

Michelle Dupuis support at ocg.ca
Thu Jan 17 16:44:10 UTC 2008

I've been working through some newly installed lirc problems, and have now
gotten as far as lirc successfully connecting to /dev/input/event3 (my DVB
NOVA-S card).

When I start lirc (as below), the first 2 lines appear and the console waits
at "lircd(userspace) ready". Then, when I start IRW on that machine I see
lircd "initializing '/dev/input/event3'. However, lircd seems hung at this
point.

What is going on? I can tell the remote works because the remote arrow keys
are translated to keyboard arrow keys. My lirc version is
0.8.3-73_cvs20071109.fc6. I tried stepping back to version 0.8.2 but lircd
would not recognize the dev/input device.

I've been reading about using a kbd driver as the dev/input for the IR
remote.  Without the LIRC part, will MythTV recognize these keyboard events?
How can I find out what events Mythtv responds to?  Where to now?

Thanks

[root at theatre2 dev]/usr/sbin/lircd -H dev/input -d /dev/input/event3 -n

lircd-0.8.3-CVS[13776]: lircd(userspace) ready

lircd-0.8.3-CVS[13776]: accepted new client on /dev/lircd

lircd-0.8.3-CVS[13776]: initializing '/dev/input/event3'