[mythtv-users] 0.21

Chris Weiland hobbiticus at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 17:56:31 UTC 2008

In order to update the source, all you should really have to do is run "svn
update" in the directory where you checked out the source.  That will update
every file in that directory tree.  After that, just running "make", "make
install" should be enough to compile and install the new version.  Running
configure again shouldn't be necessary.  That should work in the general
case.

However, sometimes things change in the configuration and layout of the
source code.  If that's the case, then the above may not work completely.
If that's the case, then the following commands should fix it:
make uninstall
make clean
./configure
make
make install

The first 3 commands just give you a clean slate for your build.  Doing this
is not generally necessary when updates are small.

I don't really see a point in making a temp copy of the source.  If you mess
up the source, you can run "svn revert", which will restore any changes that
you've made to the source tree (except for additional files that were
created), or just delete it and check it out again.  I believe that
reverting does not even communicate with the svn server because svn keeps a
local clean copy on your machine for just this reason.