[mythtv-users] OT: identify a 3ware SARA card? 8000 or 9000 series?

Jeff Wormsley daworm at comcast.net
Thu Jan 17 18:27:54 UTC 2008

John Drescher wrote:
>>  The drives were ok, but more than one got too hot at the
>> same time and shut down, thus crashing the array, and thus losing all of
>> the data.  Keep the drives cool and you shouldn't have this problem.  It
>> isn't the fault of the card, at any rate.
>>
> Is there no way to force the controller to use a dirty/failed drive
> like mdadm permits?

Not sure what you mean, as I don't use mdadm...  There is a BIOS level
utility you access at boot time to add and remove drives from the array,
which you can do with a failed drive after it has cooled off and started
working, if you only have one or two (after the first fails, the hot
spare replaces it, when the second fails, the RAID5 still works but in
degraded mode - it's when the third fails that problems set in, because
the other two have been marked bad and stay that way until you release
them and reassign them).  It may be possible to do that with the tw_cli
utility, but I wouldn't know how as I never needed to do that to a
running system.  Since it was shut away in a closet (hence the bad
ventilation) and I didn't have a mailer daemon running for it to send
failure notices through, I never knew it was bad until it was totally
borked.  Once put into a cooler environment, I've never had another
problem with it.

--
I haven't smoked for 1 year, 5 months and 14 hours,
saving $2,333.83 and not smoking 15,558.89 cigarettes.