[mythtv-users] 0.21

Stuart Larson halcyon at obfus.com
Thu Jan 17 19:15:10 UTC 2008

> Chris Weiland wrote:
>>
>> I don't really see a point in making a temp copy of the source.  If you
>> mess
>> up the source, you can run "svn revert", which will restore any changes
>> that
>> you've made to the source tree (except for additional files that were
>> created), or just delete it and check it out again.  I believe that
>> reverting does not even communicate with the svn server because svn
>> keeps a
>> local clean copy on your machine for just this reason.
>>
> Whenever I have pulled source from svn I always immediately tar it up,
> before I
> do anything else.
>
> This makes sure that I have the exact same source on the four machines I
> run
> Myth on. It also means I have a reference if one of the machines
> self-destructs,
> and it saves me from clogging up the internet tubes more than once.
>
> Mike Perkins

You can also use the -r switch of svn to check out an exact revision.  For
example, when I update my .20-fixes on one machine, I note the revision it
updates to, and then on my other machines run svn update -r [revision#].
If there's a lot of updates, I guess this would take more internet
bandwidth than probably needed, but, it's easy too.

Stuart