[mythtv-users] UDEV rules for tuner numbering consistency

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Thu Jan 17 20:10:19 UTC 2008

On Thursday 17 January 2008 09:18:52 Brian Jameson wrote:
> My Fedora 8, kernel 2.6.23.9-85.fc8 running version 0.20.2-171 of MythTV
> has a Nova T 500 twin tuner and a Nova S tuner card in it. So all DVB
> based. Like other users on this list I have suffered from the tuner cards
> changing their numbering/identification depending on cold starts/re-boots
> and now software updates. After much googling, reading and trying my hand
> at creating some UDEV rules I have totally failed to make any progress in
> creating a rule that does anything, let alone making symlinks of a
> consistent nature to remove/bypass the start up naming/numbering issue,
> which seems to be the way around the problem.
>
> Can someone point me to some simple clear documentation on how to do this,
> or better still examples I can plug into my 95-local.rules. Also some
> guidance on testing these rules would be a real help.

Have you read the MythTV wiki entry on udev?

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Device_Filenames_and_udev

It doesn't explicitly cover DVB cards, so they may be a bit different in some
respects, but with any luck that page should get you started. If not, perhaps
you could elaborate about what's giving you problems.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com