[mythtv-users] 2 second delay on video (and is there a way to get rid of it?)

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Jan 17 20:19:05 UTC 2008

On Jan 17, 2008, at 12:01 PM, James Paige wrote:

> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> On Jan 17, 2008, at 11:42 AM, Josh White wrote:
>>
>>> On Jan 17, 2008 2:29 PM, James Paige
>>> <jamesp at westcoastaerospace.com >
>>> wrote:
>>> if I a person
>>> standing in front of the camera calls me on the phone, I would like
>>> their mouth to sync up with their words.
>>
>> Zoneminder is better suited for this sort of thing. There's even a
>> Myth
>> plugin for it, but you need to adjust your expectations a little. You
>> will never perfectly sync audio from a phone call with streaming
>> video
>> data from the internet.
>
> Thanks! I'll look into zone-minder.
>
> I do understand that zero-delay is impossible, I just need the delay
> be shorter. I know the people who will be using this system, and I
> know
> they will *not* accept a delay that big :(
>
> 1 second would be adequate
> 0.5 seconds would make me dance with joy.

I think you may have more trouble than you think, if your goal is to
make speech look natural.  0.5 second won't even remotely cut it.
When editing video in the past I've found that lip sync starts to look
"off" when there's a discrepency of only two or three video frames.
Three frames of NTSC video is 0.1 second.