[mythtv-users] 2 second delay on video (and is there a way to get rid of it?)

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 23:03:20 UTC 2008

On 17/01/2008, James Paige <jamesp at westcoastaerospace.com> wrote:

> I do understand that zero-delay is impossible, I just need the delay to
> be shorter. I know the people who will be using this system, and I know
> they will *not* accept a delay that big :(

Have you already ruled out using a more suitable solution like a
videophone or IP cam with audio input, which will sync things up much
better?

Will you be recording from the camera 24/7 even if no-one is on the
phone? If you are not, I don't think using MythTV's core recording
functionality is the best solution for your project. As Brad
suggested, using ZoneMinder - perhaps with an audio-supported IP
camera, will likely give you the best overall result if you want to
use MythTV.

Will you be keeping the recordings of all calls?

> 1 second would be adequate
> 0.5 seconds would make me dance with joy.

When you see what a 0.5s delay looks like, I doubt you'll be dancing
with joy. I find a small disparity in sync much worse than a larger,
more obvious difference.

Nick

--
Nick Morrott