[mythtv-users] * Please help -- can't schedule recordings (but can record with R, can view guide)

Enigma enigma at thedonnerparty.com
Fri Jan 18 21:09:25 UTC 2008

> Mythfrontend runs as
> user 'mythtv' even if you are running as root.

This is not correct, at least in my experience.  Do you have a citation?

> Mysql 'owns' the
> scheduling process

I don't know what 'owns' is supposed to mean in this context, but the
scheduling thread is spawned by mythbackend and runs under whatever user
the backend is running.  Similarly, mythfilldatabase runs as the same
user as the backend if using automatic updates, or as the user who's
crontab spawns it whwn run from cron.  It is unclear to which of these
instances you are referring since you refer to the "scheduling process"
but then talk about mythfilldatabase failing (2 different activities),
but either way, if he is running the backend as root the scheduler
thread is running as root and any automatic updates will run as root.

To the OP:  Do the programs you record from LiveTV have correct metadata
when viewed in the Recorded Programs list?  Have you tried running
mythbackend with '-v all' and looked at the log when the recording was
scheduled and when the recording is due to start?  Do manual
(time-based) recordings work?  Does your upcoming recordings screen have
any listings?  Is the time correct on your backend?