[mythtv-users] digital vs analog stations

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Jan 18 22:03:17 UTC 2008

>> > Was wondering if someone could give me a hint.
>> >
>> > I just got my Pinnacle 800i card working with MythTv.
>> >
>> > If I configure it to MythTV using the /dev/video0 device and scan
>> > stations I get my cable providers analog stations only.
>> >
>> > If I configure it with the /dev/dvb/adapter0 device and scan for
>> > stations using terristrial or QAM-256 I get my providers
>> unencrypted
>> > digital stations.
>> >
>> > Is there a way to get both sets of stations?  Itr seems
>> inadvisable to
>> > leave both defined to MythTV because I am sure bad things
>> would happen
>> > if the scheduler tried to use them both at the same time.
>>
>> Why would that be a problem?
>>
>>     If you have different versions of the same channel, then
>> MythTV will "just pick one" when something appropriate
>> happens to come on. If you have some reason to favor one
>> input over the other then you can set an input level
>> priority, a channel level priority or just mark certain
>> channels as not visible.
>
> My guess is that it would be a problem if the scheduler tried to schedule
> 2
> recordings on the same card on different channels.  i.e one on the dvb
> driver instance of the card and one on the v4l driver instance. nAre you
> sayiung that is a non issue?

Short of trying to record the exact same show at the exact same time
on two tuners at a time, I can't imagine this being a problem. Keep
in mind that this is the same problem that would occur if you had
2 identical type tuners.

Something has to manage that.

Stuff is going to get sorted out by priority and then assigned to
available tuners. It shouldn't matter if the guide data sources
are the same, or if the tuner types are the same.

MythTV already has to sort out conflicting priorities when just
managing a single tuner and a single guide data source. It has
to "do something".

That leads to predictable behavior even if it is just a side effect.

Ordering of the application of recording rules by recordid is one
of these. You can tweak this so certain types of (more specific)
searches will be done before other types of (broader) searches.

I believe that I have the same sort of overlapping configuration
you're currently worried about. It seems to be no big deal. It
was a little effort to make sure that the locals got recorded
off my OTA tuner but no serious crash+burn sorts of problems
arose.