[mythtv-users] * Please help -- can't schedule recordings (but can record with R, can view guide)

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Jan 18 23:14:47 UTC 2008

On Jan 18, 2008, at 3:09 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:

> R. G. Newbury wrote:
>>> I don't know what 'owns' is supposed to mean in this context, but
>>> the
>>> scheduling thread is spawned by mythbackend and runs under
>>> whatever user
>>> the backend is running.
>>
>> No it does not. My backend runs as 'root' which causes problems it
>> the
>> frontend is started as user 'mythtv' and the backend crashes: the
>> user
>> (my wife!) cannot restart the backend as 'service mythbackend
>> restart'
>> requires root privilege.
>> So the system runs as root.
>>
> Nope. The various daemons (services) can run under any user the system
> administrator/system builder desires. It's just that, because the
> system itself
> starts the daemons, you therefore need root to run 'service
> mythbackend restart'
> (i.e. the 'service' command).
>
> In fact I got round that myself during testing by making an entry in
> the
> /etc/sudoers file. I can now run 'sudo service mythbackend
> [stop|start|whatever]' from my own account as needed (hopefully
> never).
>
> Mike Perkins

You chose to set it up that way. It's not required to run as a service.
Just running mythbackend from the command line as whatever user you
like works just fine with the correct permissions.
I used to run the backend as mythtv but switch to root to make my life
easier permission-wise. If my system was open to the internet, I would
definitely run as a mythtv user instead of root.