[mythtv-users] 2 second delay on video (and is there a way to get rid of it?)

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 19 03:06:23 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 07:34:55AM -0800, James Paige wrote:
> > Similarly, MythTV is probably not the right tool for the job you're
> > trying to do. The PVR-350 is probably also not the right tool for this
> > particular job. If you need real-time video you'll probably be better
> > off with some other app and a plain framebuffer card.
>
> That is good to know. I had (perhaps mistakenly) assumed that making the
> capture hardware do the encoding would reduce the overhead, rather than
> increase it.
>
> Any recommendations on a good plain framebuffer card?

I'm sure that somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the
MPEG encoder on the PVR-x50 cards introduces a small delay of its own.
However, it reduces processor and bus bandwidth requirements.

The old bt848 chip and its Conexant successor are well-supported by v4l.
One of the current cards that uses the Conexant is the WinTV Radio
(model 401). It's a common chip in cheap framegrabbers, though.

--
Michael Heironimus