[mythtv-users] Additional backend not showing in Machine information in mythweb

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 06:09:06 UTC 2008

On Jan 18, 2008 11:45 PM, Marc <drayson at net1plus.com> wrote:

>  My existing setup I have 2 machines.
>
> 1 is a master backend with 5 capture devices in it.
>
> 1 is a slave backend with 1 capture device in it. This is also my frontend
> system.
>
> Backend status in mythweb says the following.
>
> Machine information
>
> Disk Usage:
>
>    - MythTV Drive #1:
>       - Directory: niflheim:/record
>       - Total Space: 858,368 MB
>       - Space Used: 618,065 MB
>       - Space Free: 240,302 MB
>    - MythTV Drive #2:
>       - Directory: asgard:/media
>       - Total Space: 227,473 MB
>       - Space Used: 202,449 MB
>       - Space Free: 25,024 MB
>    - Total Disk Space:
>       - Total Space: 1,085,842 MB
>       - Space Used: 820,515 MB
>       - Space Free: 265,327 MB
>
> As you can see I'm running out of room so I built an additional machine
> that will serve as more storage space.
>
> This new machine does not have any cards in it but exists solely as
> additional storeage. I will transfer video to the new machine by hand and
> update the database to point to the new location.
>
> It is connected to my existing network, connected to my master backend and
> the mysql db. It does not show up in Machine information in mythweb.
>
> I moved a single mpg file from niflheim:/record to the new machine.
>
> I then updated the table in mysql to know that the media is no longer on
> niflheim but is instead now on mediastore.
>
> I then delete the mog file from niflheim. I go into my frontend and am
> successful in playing the show. Disconnecting the mediastore network cable
> causes playback to stop.
>
> Success, or so I think.
>

> I go back into mythweb to media information and I still only see drive 1
> and drive 2. The new drive that is a part of the mediastore is not showing
> in the information section. Total space remains as approx 1 TB when the new
> drives I added in the new machine pushes me to about 1.5 TB.
>

> Why does the new machine not show in the machine information disk list? Is
> it because there is no card in the new machine?
>

> Marc

you can only have a backend if there are tuners in it.  When you run
mythbackend and no tuners are defined it will give you a warning.

a much simpler solution would be to mount the new computer/storage via NFS
to your master backend.  Then add that directory as another storage
directory.

Not only will you see your additional storage but you wont have to deal with
manually moving files over to the new storage (that is just crazy)

Mitchell