[mythtv-users] Myth can't passthrough digital audio, but xine and mplayer can

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jan 19 18:00:59 UTC 2008

On 01/18/2008 09:28 PM, Ray Lischner wrote:
> I've tried /dev/dsp and /dev/adsp as the audio device. I've tried
> Default and the other built-in choice for the pass-through device, as
> well as ALSA:hw=0,1 (because the digital device is 1 on card 0).
>
> The result is consistent. With pass through enabled, the receiver picks
> up the digital encoding, but no sound.
>
> With xine,

which has a whole different mechanism for configuration

>  I don't need to mess with anything. I just select Pass
> through for the audio, and it just works. So I'm still trying to figure
> out what's different.

$ cat ~/.xine/config | grep passthrough
#audio.device.alsa_passthrough_device:iec958:AES0=0x6,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x0,AES3=0x2

Hmmm.  xine has a default value for the passthrough device.  It's not
one of the values you've tried (though you need to fix the format for
the one Myth uses)...

Mike