[mythtv-users] Myth can't passthrough digital audio, but xine and mplayer can

Marc drayson at net1plus.com
Sat Jan 19 18:29:53 UTC 2008

Post the output for the following command.
aplay -l

You should be able to then implement a ~/.asoundrc or /etc/asound.conf
configuration file like the one found at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound to set your
audio for digital passthrough.

For example I am using the config file there.
My aplay -l
card 0: ICH5 [Intel ICH5], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel ICH5]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: ICH5 [Intel ICH5], device 4: Intel ICH - IEC958 [Intel ICH5 -
IEC958]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

>From this we determine that my IEC958 (passthrough) is device 4.
My modifications to the config are as follows

pcm.!default {
  type plug
## Uncomment the following to use "mixed-analog" by default
#  slave.pcm "dmix-analog"
## Uncomment the following to use (unmixed) "digital" by default
#  slave.pcm "digital-hw"
## Uncomment the following to use "mixed-digital" by default
  slave.pcm "dmix-digital"
}
To give configure audio as digital audio.

# Alias for digital (S/PDIF) output on the card
# Do not use this directly--it requires specific rate, channels, and format
pcm.digital-hw {
  type hw
  card 0
#  device 1
#  - Comment out "device 1" above and uncomment one of the below or create a
#    new "device N" line as appropriate for your sound card or
#  device 2
  device 4
}
To configure s/pdif on card 0 device 4 as identified by aplay -l

The other issue could be that you have the correct passthrough device
configured in mythfrontend setup but do not have passthrough enabled. Or you
have it enabled but you do not have the correct passthrough device selected.
My output device is set for "ALSA:default"
My passthrough is set for "ALSA:iec958:{ AES0 0x02 }"
My mixer device is set for "default" (note this is different from
ALSA:default. This is the default as defined in the ~/.asoundrc or
/etc/asound.conf configuration file)