[mythtv-users] Script to restart backend after crash?

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 06:08:48 UTC 2008

On Jan 19, 2008 1:25 AM, Piers Kittel <mailing at biased.org> wrote:

> So I need some sort of script to monitor the backend and restart it
> automatically when it stops working for some reason.  Does anyone have
> some?  The package I use is from debian-multimedia.org, currently
> version 0.20.2-0.2.  It does come with its own startup script but
> doesn't work for some reason:

My script is attached.  It runs every minute from cron.  I think I
copied it off the mythTV wiki or something.

#!/bin/bash

pidno=$( ps ax | grep /usr/bin/mythbackend | grep -v grep | grep -v
mythbackend_monitor)
# Checks for pid in "ps" listing, field #1.
# Then makes sure it is the actual process, not the process invoked by
this script.
# The last "grep $1" filters out this possibility.
if [ -z "$pidno" ]  # If, after all the filtering, the result is a
zero-length string,
then                # no running process corresponds to the pid given.
  echo "No such process running."
  mail david at thewhytehouse.org -s "MythTV Restart" <
/var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log
  /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend restart