[mythtv-users] mythwelcome and shutdown/wakeup

James Hood ebenblues at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 21 02:38:02 UTC 2008

----- Original Message ----

 with the functionality and quality of the software so far. I have
> two

 questions related to the auto shutdown/wakeup feature of mythtv.

> > > First, does mythbackend take into account the next time it
> is

 supposed to grab EPG data when it calculates the next wakeup time? I
> found

 this post from June 2007 which provides a SetAlarm script that
> goes

 through the pain of searching the mythfilldatabase log for the
> next

 suggested update time, checks if
> > >  it's sooner than when mythbackend wants to wake the box up
> and

 uses the closer time as the wakeup time.

 http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/280050?search_string=acpi;#2
> 80050
> > >
> > > I'm hoping that mythbackend does this automatically in 0.20
> (or

 maybe in svn)?

> > > Second, I noticed on a box that's both a frontend and backend,
> that

 mythbackend won't auto-shutdown the box if mythfrontend is
> running,

 even if mythfrontend has been sitting idle at the menu screen for a
> long

 period of time. I've read about mythwelcome, but as far as I can
> tell,

 it seems like more of a workaround. Frankly, the mythwelcome screen
> is

 very confusing for someone who doesn't know anything about how
> myth

 works, i.e., my wife. To me, the ultimate user friendly experience
> would

 be to not have mythwelcome at all, and to have some way for
> mythbackend

 to know if the frontend (or any frontend) has been sitting idle at

 menu for X number of minutes and initiate shutdown of the box then.

 know the coding of that may be more complex, but I think the
> current

 scheme surfaces far too much detail to the user.

> > > I couldn't find any discussion about this in the archives so I
> hope

 this isn't something that's already been talked about, but if not,
> I'd

 be interested in discussing more user-friendly possibilities.
> I'm

 willing to put my money where my mouth is and contribute some code, but

 didn't know if there was a good reason why it's implemented the way
> it

 is.

> > > Thanks,
> > > James
> >
> > When I first came across mythwelcome, I too thought that it was a
> bit

 of
> > a kludge. Why does there have to be a separate executable, just

 let
> > the backend know that noone is running the frontend. Couldn't instead
> > the top-level screen of mythfrontend act as a welcome/idle screen?
> Or

 as
> > you suggest, some sort of idle timer, so it doesn't matter if
> the

 user
> > does not navigate up to the top-level.
> >
> > Anyway, since then I've just accepted things are the way that
> they

 are.
> > I've told my wife that she needs to Esc out until it will go
> no

 further,
> > and soon the box will automatically shutdown if it's not
> recording

 etc.
> > and it seems acceptable.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > John
>
> I am xscreensaver and a small perl script to handle this. When the
> screensaver turns black (blank), a perl script is started which kills
> mythfrontend. there is somewhere on the list here.

Thanks for the responses. I agree these are all valid workarounds. I guess I was just trying to get a discussion going on how it *should* work from a usability standpoint with no hacking or workarounds necessary. From the responses, it sounds like at least one other person feels like I do about mythwelcome being kludgy and others have to use external scripts to live without it. I'll try to look and see how difficult this would be to implement in the code.

James

"The humble learn the fastest because they don't waste time on defending a false image."