[mythtv-users] Per-usage internet billing. WAS: Vote for Miro Integration into MythTV

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Mon Jan 21 06:06:52 UTC 2008

* On Sun Jan 20, 2008 at 11:53:08PM -0600, Michael Segulja wrote:
> On Jan 20, 2008, at 8:07 PM, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> So the ISP advertising to me unlimited internet usage for X dollars
> per month is abusing their service if I actually make use of the
> unlimited usage?  And that's the point... if they aren't actually

So sue them.  If it isn't against their TOS and they cut you off,
take them to small claims court.

> download.  I can't exceed the maximum bandwidth but I sure should be
> able to download as much as I want if they can't give me a definite
> limit and give me the option to pay more if I want more, or less if I
> won't use that much.

A lot of times they do, it's called a business account.

> > People speak with their dollars (or by complaining at city council
> > meetings).  :)
>
> And wouldn't it be great if we here in the US really could speak with
> our dollars.  My only choice, and I live in Houston, the 4th largest
> city in the nation, is Comcast for cable modem service, or for DLS,
> Verizon and AT&T.  The only way I could speak with my dollars is to
> not have internet access at all!  We definitely need more competition
> and choice.

Sometimes, not spending your money is the only way to speak.  Regarding
the competition and choice, that's one for the city council meetings,
or the local TV/Radio stations or newspaper editorial pages.

Some people might say that your only choice of OS is Windows or OS/X
since they're the big boys, but obviously a lot of us disagree.

This discussion is turning political now though, so I'm going to bow out.
It's way off-topic for any mythtv-* mailing list and I shouldn't be
promoting it.

--
Chris