[mythtv-users] TV Out quality (S-Video) on Epia M1000

Stephen Dolan stephen.dolan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 11:59:37 UTC 2008

On 21/01/2008, Michael J. Hammel <mythtv at graphics-muse.com> wrote:

> I've finally finished (sans IR receiver, which is TBD) my custom myth
> box front end based on an EPIA M-10000 and it works great - over 802.11g
> to the backend no less - with a VGA monitor.  But when I plug the TV Out
> into the TV (S-Video connection) the colors are horrid and the font
> quality is terrible.
>
> The colors are fine (roughly) on the bottom half of the screen but as
> you go higher up the colors get bad, almost inverted though not quite
> that bad.
>
> The fonts are just really hard to read.  This may be a configurable item
> in the MythTV setup - I'll play with that some more.  I've already
> increased the font sizes once but maybe I need to do it more.
>
> I found this post related to the M10000:
> http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2004-January/025832.html
>
> That guy added a PVR350 card to his motherboard, which I'd rather not do
> unless I have to.  After all, one of the reasons for using the Epia
> board was the built in MPEG decoding and TV out.
>
> Is there anything related to signal quality of the S-Video that I should
> be aware of?  Should the cable be shieled in some way from the power
> cables or something?
>
> I've noticed that the video quality of my Acer Aspire 1691 S-Video
> output is much better (though not ideal), so I'm wondering if this is
> strictly a poor TV out hardware problem on the EPIA board.
>
> Other than that, MythTV itself is working terrific.
>
> If anyone has any pointers on this problem, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks.

I run MythTV on an M10000 and S-video out with excellent results. What mode
do you use in your xorg.conf file? Running in native TV resolution might
help.

For what its worth here's an excerpt from my xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "VideocardViaTv"
        Driver      "via"
        VendorName  "Via"
        BoardName   "cle266"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        Option      "TVType" "PAL"
        Option      "TVOutput" "S-Video"
        Option      "EnableAGPDMA" "true"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "VideocardViaTv"
        Monitor    "MonitorTv"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes    "720x576Noscale"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

If you're in the US, I guess you should use "720x480Noscale". There's some
more information here:
http://www.kingcot.eclipse.co.uk/unichrome/unichromeTvOut.html
Hope this helps.

Stephen