[mythtv-users] Which NVidia card

Cal cal at graggrag.com
Mon Jan 21 12:52:20 UTC 2008

Marius Schrecker wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    After a Loooong break I'm trying to breathe new life into my MythTV box.
>
> Why didn't I listen to you all before when you warned bout ATI cards? I'd
> have saved myself a lot of grief! Anyway:
>
> Now I'm going to get a card that does proper XvMc (Nvidia the only choice
> here??)
>
> The box will only be used for MythTV, so great 3d performance is not an
> issue.
>
> Card should be PCIe, available (7000 series or 6200TC), passive, and not
> generate too much heat. I'va lso read mixed reports on whether the 7000
> series DOES support full XvMc, so questions are:
>
> 1. Is it correct that the 7000 series does XvMc without problems?
> 2. I can still get hold of a 6200TC, but this has only 64 MB Ram. Is this
> sufficient?
> 3. Will the 7300 GS produce much more heat than a 6200TC? Could I
> underclock to compensate?
>

> 4. Other recommendations????

Forget about XvMC. It's a relic of a past era where our poor struggling
sub-2G single core cpus _needed_ some graphics processing to be offloaded in
order to survive. So, the poor little graphics card endured constantly
cooking up a storm doing XvMC, and without even a fan to cool its brow.
Now, I believe you're better off letting a nice little dual core do the
hard work. It's better equipped to deal with the heat output too.

Worst of all, XvMC comes with some tedious artifacts. You don't get anything
for free. My suggestion is have the graphics card do no more than it has to,
and provide the necessary grunt via cpu instead. I have a 6200 and a 7300
(two systems), and I really can't pick between them. They're both excellent as
long as I don't try to include XvMC in the mix.

Cheers.

(I could really use a "Loooong break", can you recommend a good source?)